I’m using this page as an online reference desk for painting triads and similiar stuff. If others find this information of use, that’s great. Most of these ideas have been shamelessly borrowed from other sites on the net. For general painting information, the best site I’ve found is Steve Dean. The forum there is top stuff.
For the most part I use Vallejo paints, but also have some GW, P3 and craft paints as the situation demands. I undercoat my figures with black gesso, so keep that in mind. Your results will look different if you prime with white. The triads listed are for 28mm figures… for 15’s I usually only do two tones with a dark wash for shading.
As always, these are just some basic starting points. Experiment and learn.
Dark Blues (I use this for French & Prussian Napoleonics and Prussian SYW.)
- Base – Vallejo 899 – Dark Prussian Blue
- 1st Highlight – Vallejo 965 – Prussian Blue
- 2nd Highlight – Vallejo 963 – Medium Blue
This will give a more blue-y (is that a term?) blue.
- Base – Delta Americana Deep Midnight Blue
- 1st Highlight – Delta Americana Deep Midnight Blue + small amount Americana Antique White
- 2nd Highlight – Delta Americana Deep Midnight Blue + more Antique White (until almost grey)
This will give a more washed-out & faded blue.
Enamel: Humbrol 104
Russian Green Napoleonic or (Maybe) SYW
- Base – Vallejo 896 – Dark Green or 980 – Black Green
- 1st Highlight – Vallejo 894 – Russian Green
- 2nd Highlight – Vallejo 823 – Luftwaffe Camo Green (maybe with Naples Yellow highlight)
Enamel: Humbrol 88 (regular jackets) Humbrol 80 (early jager uniforms)
Standard Brown (good for mud too)
- Base – Vallejo 941 – Burnt Umber
- 1st Highlight – Vallejo 875 – Beige Brown
- 2nd Highlight – Vallejo 843 – Cork Brown
For extra-dark base use Vallejo 822 – German Camo Black Brown and then build up from there.
- Base – Vallejo 985 – Hull Red
- 1st Highlight – Vallejo 947 – Red
- 2nd Highlight – Vallejo 817 – Scarlet
- 3rd Highlight – Vallejo 910 – Orange Red
- Base – Vallejo 994 – Dark Grey
- 1st highlight – Vallejo 886 – green-gray
- 2nd highlight – Vallejo 971 – green gray JN
This will give (as expected) a somewhat greenish tint to the white.
- Base – Vallejo 820 – Offwhite
- Wash with GW Devlan Mud
- Highlight raised areas with Offwhite again.
This is what I use for 15mm trousers and other large areas of white. It gives a more brown/black shadow look to things.
For pre-20th century purposes I don’t think the stark true white looks good.
- Base – Vallejo 992 – Neutral Grey
- 1st Highlight – Vallejo 990 – Light Grey
- Base – Vallejo 856 – Ochre Brown
- 1st Highlight – Vallejo 913 – Yellow Ochre
- 2nd Highlight – Vallejo 953 – Flat Yellow
- 3rd Highlight – Vallejo 952 – Lemon Yellow
Standard Caucasian Flesh
- Base – Vallejo – Red Leathe OR Base – Vallejo 860 – Medium Fleshtone
- 1st Highlight – Vallejo 927 – Dark Flesh
- 2nd Highlight – Vallejo 845 – Sunny Skintone
- 3rd Highlight – Vallejo 815 – Basic Fleshtone OR Vallejo 928 – Light Flesh
There’s no one way to do flesh… these are just some basic notes I try to keep for myself to avoid getting washed out fleshtones.
Enamel: Humbrol 109
US Airborne WWII
- Equal mix of Khaki grey and US Field drab, splash of Tan yellow, Brown sand and English uniform + lots of water.
- highlighted with added buff and white
HELMETS AND KNEE/ELBOW PADS
- US Olive Drab with a bit of Military green, lighten with Russian Uniform
WWII British Battledress
- VGC Charred Brown
- VMC Flat Earth
- VMC US Tan Earth
More Generic Vallejo Triads – Courtesy of Toby from Artmaster Studios via the Steve Dean Forum.
I have finally got around to listing my favourite home made vallejo triads. Some colours are from panzer aces series but most are Model colour.
Any questions please leave a comment below!
I hope you find them useful!
US Feild drab
US Feild Drab
German cam orange brown
US feild drab
Germ camo dark green
Russian uniform WWII
Deep sky blue
US feild drab
Highlight afrika korps
German camo bright green
Germ camo black brown
Us feild drab
Lufftwaffe uniform WWII
Dark blue grey
Germ dark green
Russian uniform WWII
Germ camo medium brown
Highlight US Tank crew
German dark green
Italian Tank crew
Neutral grey (might need to lighten that a smidge)
US olive drab
German tank crew WWII