Priming Experiments

My wife had school tonight, so after the kids went to bed I had about an hour of free time.   That time was spent priming the Old Glory cossacks I cleaned up last week.  

I’ve black-primed my figures for the last 15 years or more.  I like the contrast it can provide and would rather see stripes of black where I missed something instead of bright white like before.   This time I did a slight twist and tried using raw umber as the basecoat/primer.   Umber comes from the Latin umbra, or shadow, so it seemed like a good idea to use that as the base color.  Any places that other colors did not cover would have a more natural shadow color than stark black.  

I first tried using some Liquitex raw umber in a squeeze bottle that I bought from Michael’s a few years back.   The color was excellent, but I found out why artist’s colors have some limitations in miniatures painting.  Regardless of whether the paint was thinned down with water or used full-strength,  the paint did not have enough pigmentation to provide a solid color over the bare metal.  The color was solid in the cracks & crevasses, but ended up as more of a wash over the larger areas of the horse and rider.  Not good.

Next I tried Windsor & Newton raw umber.  This came from a tube.  Alas, when thinned down to a point where it could be applied with a paintbrush versus a trowel, it had the same coverage issues as the Liquitex paint.  Rats…

FInally I did some digging in the basement and came up with a bottle of Vallejo 822 “SS Camo Black Brown.”  This stuff is pretty close to the raw umber color of the other two paints I tried.  One thing was immediately obvious: the Vallejo paint has the necessary pigmentation to cover, unlike the artists’ acrylics I tried before.  This did the trick, and seems to have worked well.   I’ll check the models in the morning once the paint is completely dried, but so far, so good.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Priming Experiments”


  1. 1 littlejohn November 5, 2008 at 8:33 pm

    I’ve been having good luck with a basecoat of Krylon spray “Specialty Colors” Camoflauge in a dark umber color as well. It works great to get the painting a bit less “contrasty” and gives a good leather base that works for shoes gun stocks etc…I’m using it on 40mm ECW figures.

    –Dave

  2. 2 Bart November 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm

    Thanks for your comment.

    How thick does the Krylon paint when applied to figures? I’ve found that brush priming, while slower, gives me more control over the amount of paint I put on figures. I inevitably seem to overcoat figures and mar some of the detail.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




On the Painting Table

What I’m Reading

a

Blog Stats

  • 56,699 hits

%d bloggers like this: